Friday, April 14, 2006

How to make Naan


Ingredients :
2/3 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 spoons onion seeds
1 spoon yeast (Dry)
1 spoon sugar
1 spoon salt
4 spoons clarified butter
2 spoons yoghurt

Procedure :

Whisk warm water with the yeast and sugar until the
yeast is dissolved.
Cover and let stand in a warm place for 15 minutes.
Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl add the
yeast mixture, half of the ghee and the yogurt.
Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about
6 minutes or until dough is smooth.
Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand
in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
Punch down dough then knead for 5 minutes.
Divide dough into 6 pieces.
Roll each piece out into 7 inch round nans.
Cover an oven tray with foil and grease the foil.
Brush the nan with a little of the remaining ghee
Cook Naan one at a time under a very hot grill for about
2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:49:00 AM, Blogger Mark Brown said...

You say "half of the ghee and the yogurt."

Is the Ghee Clarified butter?
I (believe it or not, dont know how to make that either)

Can you start with a quick list of stuff I should buy in the Supermarket (and what aisle I'd find them in?)--ex onion seeds-- are they in spice aisle?


Love your blog and can't wait to try some recipes after Friday (end of Passover-feast of matzah[aka dried cardboard])
Markbnj
PS: I have you in my link bar, since your recipes look so good!

 
At Wednesday, April 19, 2006 4:07:00 AM, Blogger Scott McLean said...

The only problem with Naan, when I eat at a restaurant, is I usually fill up on it, then have a hard time eating all the curries which I love. Now I'll be hungry all night...

 
At Saturday, August 26, 2006 9:53:00 PM, Blogger Zee said...

I tried it yesterday, and it turned out lovely!
Thank you sooo much!!!!

 
At Tuesday, September 26, 2006 6:58:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I get clarified butter and yoghurt?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home